Defend Your Position - Page 3 - Football Forum - NFL, CFL & College Football Forums
Reply

Old 11-14-2012, 04:50 AM   #21 (permalink)
FBF Pro Bowler
 
WeWantTheVest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,302
WeWantTheVest will become famous soon enough
Default

Top five winningest programs in college football:
Michigan
Texas
Notre Dame
Nebraska
Ohio State

"If there are any Big Ten teams that shoot for a national championship, they're damn fools...You play to win the Big Ten championship, and if you win it and go to the Rose Bowl and win it, then you've had a great season. If they choose to vote you number one, then you're the national champion. But a national champion is a mythical national champion, and I think you guys ought to know that. It's mythical."

Still applies today. 2014 we can start caring about national championships.

Last thing I'll say. Who said LSU was overrated last year? Pretty sure we're talking about this year. Either way, LSU belonged in that game. Bama didn't. Simple as that.
__________________
WeWantTheVest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old 11-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #22 (permalink)
FBF Pro Bowler
 
BamaChamps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,147
BamaChamps has a spectacular aura aboutBamaChamps has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWantTheVest View Post
Top five winningest programs in college football:
Michigan
Texas
Notre Dame
Nebraska
Ohio State

"If there are any Big Ten teams that shoot for a national championship, they're damn fools...You play to win the Big Ten championship, and if you win it and go to the Rose Bowl and win it, then you've had a great season. If they choose to vote you number one, then you're the national champion. But a national champion is a mythical national champion, and I think you guys ought to know that. It's mythical."

Still applies today. 2014 we can start caring about national championships.

Last thing I'll say. Who said LSU was overrated last year? Pretty sure we're talking about this year. Either way, LSU belonged in that game. Bama didn't. Simple as that.
lol that's all the proof I need. The SEC is overrated because back when they were playing football with leather helmets big 10 country and Texas won games before the the rest of country even started playing college football. Pathetic

The team that won the title with a shutout (first time that happen in 40 plus years) didn't belong, according to you. Well, I'm glad according to the record books and anyone that matters Bama won its 14 title last season.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWantTheVest View Post
Looks like BamaChamps might be right though.
BamaChamps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #23 (permalink)
FBF All Star Running Back
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 573
MountaineersFan is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaChamps View Post
Some of you here say that the SEC is overrated. I challenge you to present a valid argument based on objective factors in this thread to support your position. Also, if you claim that the SEC is overrated then what conference is better? Support your position if you dare, and I will counter and destroy your claims.
Obviously, this is going to be an argument you will not lose, at least you will say you won't lose. It is nothing but objective views by an individual. So far you have given reasons you feel that the SEC is not overrated and others have given reasons the SEC is overrated. You feel as though your reasons for not being overrated outway or are more important than the counterpart...and that in itself is objectional. Whatever case you try to make, you will say you are right and others are wrong. It is pointless to try to argue any of these points with you.

I'm not knocking you at all so please don't take this personal. I have seen several of your posts now and you give very valid reasonings behind your statements, but at the same time you don't give enough credit to counter arguments. You are a Bama fan and a SEC fan so I get it.
MountaineersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #24 (permalink)
Looking to be drafted
 
GEAUXTIGERS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: On the Bayou
Posts: 75
GEAUXTIGERS is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWantTheVest View Post
.
Last thing I'll say. Who said LSU was overrated last year? Pretty sure we're talking about this year. Either way, LSU belonged in that game. Bama didn't. Simple as that.
Not sure that anyone here said it, but lots and lots of people called LSU overrated after that game. As far as Bama not belonging there, its hard to say. This was a classic case of why the BCS was flawed. The BCSs goal is to put the top 2 teams together for the Championship. I think it did that with LSU and Bama (like it or not its just the way it was). However, the BCS also says every week is a playoff. and EVERY GAME COUNTS. But that wasnt the case last season because the first LSU Alabama game didnt Count! LSU got screwed in the deal, its really hard to beat a good team 3 times in a row. So while Bama didnt belong... they kind of did. Valid points both ways. Cant wait for a playoff.

Last edited by GEAUXTIGERS : 11-15-2012 at 09:29 PM.
GEAUXTIGERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #25 (permalink)
FBF Pro Bowler
 
WeWantTheVest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,302
WeWantTheVest will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEAUXTIGERS View Post
Not sure that anyone hear said it, but lots and lots of people called LSU overrated after that game. As far as Bama not belonging there, its hard to say. This was a classic case of why the BCS was flawed. The BCSs goal is to put the top 2 teams together for the Championship. I think it did that with LSU and Bama (like it or not its just the way it was). However, the BCS also says every week is a playoff. and EVERY GAME COUNTS. But that wasnt the case last season because the first LSU Alabama game didnt Count! LSU got screwed in the deal, its really hard to beat a good team 3 times in a row. So while Bama didnt belong... they kind of did. Valid points both ways. Cant wait for a playoff.
They may have been overrated, or maybe it was difficult to win thats that game against a team you already beat after winning a Conference Championship game. I'd say the latter myself. I won't say Bama wasn't the best team last year, because we don't know, but I do know they didn't deserve to be in that game. Oklahoma State belonged in that game for reasons you already pointed out about the regular season. That is the biggest argument proponents of the BCS use, and it obviously doesn't hold true. Another thing is that the only ranking of the three that isn't biased had Oklahoma State ranked second. I am very eager for the playoff as well.
__________________
WeWantTheVest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #26 (permalink)
Looking to be drafted
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 93
scottc is on a distinguished road
Default

I think its silly saying that the whole conference is currently over-rated. However, in the past the teams in SEC have had the benefit of the doubt for no reason. Why? I have no idea (sarcasm).

In my opinion, there are a lot of teams that are properly ranked. Alabama, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Texas A&M are all in the right area.

But lets look at a couple of teams.

Stanford #13. 8-2
Top25 wins: 2. USC and Oregon St.
Worst Loss: AT Washington #25 by 4 points

Oklahoma #12. 8-2
Top 25 wins: 2. Texas Tech and Texas
Worst Loss: Notre Dame #3 by 17 points

South Carolina #9. 8-2
Top 25 wins: 1. Georgia
Worst Loss: AT Florida #6 by 33 points.
Comparison to Stanford and Oklahoma: Less top 25 wins, worse loss… By 33 points.
Conclusion: OVER-RATED

I could also look at some pac12 teams that are in the 3 to 8 loss range and do the same thing comparing it to the SEC teams and showing how those teams have inflated win-loss records. But hey, we arent talking about inflated wins, just over-rated teams. So there it is, FACTS.

Lastly, I know your precious Alabama team lost and you are looking for some way to put some attention back on them, but do you really have to bark so much like a whiny little dog?
scottc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:44 AM   #27 (permalink)
Keepin It Real
Photobucket
 
Canadian Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,743
Blog Entries: 5
Canadian Speed has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Speed has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Speed has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Speed has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Speed has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Speed has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Speed has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Speed has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Speed has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Speed has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Speed has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Here's my take on this, for you all to poke holes into and what have you... So you say that the BCS is biased, that's fine, there are arguments for ALL of it... For the record, I'm a tournament pusher who wants to see Div 1 football adopt a Final Four tournament... With luck, putting an end to the debates...

So let's remove the BCS from all of this... How could we look at things to determin who's best..? Something that isn't biased.

So lets look at players who've gone on to the next level...

The SEC has more active players in the NFL at this time then any other conference. They're followed by ACC/PAC 10, Big East, Big 10, and Big 12.

If players make games great, the rationel would be that the most "best" players come from the SEC, therfore the SEC has the most talent. Don't fool yourself into thinking that the NFL is biased in all of this either... All they care about is winning. If some half retarded kid, with one leg could kick a ball 90 yards dead in the centre of the uprights, in high wind, he'd have a spot on someones roster...

This doesn't take into consideration where the players were drafted, what positions, or anything like that. It's simply taking into account that these conferences have produced the most professional players.
__________________

Thanks to VIPER!
Canadian Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #28 (permalink)
FBF Pro Bowler
 
BamaChamps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,147
BamaChamps has a spectacular aura aboutBamaChamps has a spectacular aura about
Default

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWantTheVest View Post
Looks like BamaChamps might be right though.
BamaChamps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #29 (permalink)
FBF Pro Bowler
 
WeWantTheVest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,302
WeWantTheVest will become famous soon enough
Default

The amount of active players on NFL rosters has next to no relevance in college football. How many Heisman winners have had NFL careers even worth mentioning? Only a handful at best. Look at players like Jason White, Troy Smith, Tim Tebow, etc. If you reverse that look at players like Tom Brady, Demarcus Ware, Charles Tillman, etc. How many of those SEC players are starting, or even making an impact? How many benefit from the team they play for? How many sit on the bench or play kickoffs? Who knows, I sure don't. Point is, you really can't use anything in the NFL as an argument in college discussions.
__________________
WeWantTheVest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #30 (permalink)
FBF Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 204
Beatnik Husker is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Speed View Post
This doesn't take into consideration where the players were drafted
or IF they were even drafted at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Speed View Post
what positions, or anything like that. It's simply taking into account that these conferences have produced the most professional players.
Thats a horrible measure, considering that something like 75%+ of players currently on Div1 rosters will never play a professional snap.

Secondly, the SEC has 14 teams... how many other conferences have 14 teams? Your unbiased numbers are biased from the start.

Thirdly, you're also NOT taking into consideration whether or not an individual player is a STARTER or 2nd/3rd string... Not important you say? Of course it is, when you consider that the SEC is a football factory that turns out football players... when you graduate/move on from an SEC school after a 4 or/5 year stint as a backup RG at Ole Miss your career opportunities are limited, and a six figure base salary to be a backup for something you've done your whole life seems like a good deal, when option B is night manager at the Safeway.

The biggest misconception about players in the NFL is that they are ALL somehow UNIQUELY talented, when the truth is that most players in the NFL test out with roughly the same numbers... obviously there always outliers, (Mike Vick at QB... Jimmy Graham at TE... Adrian Peterson at RB) who take their unique talent/abilities and turn it into huge careers... but for the most part, the talent level in the NFL is pretty much even across the board.

Which is to say... the "MOST TALENTED PLAYERS" are not necessarily the "BEST PLAYERS".

The BEST players in the NFL are typically guys who work harder than the competition... train harder than the competition... and play harder than the competition.

Randy Moss may have been the "most talented" WR on the field at any given time... but I can probably find you footage from 10+ games where he was outplayed and outworked by ALL the other WRs in the game.

Jerry Rice was never the fastest or most talented WR on the field, he just outworked eveybody... and he never took a snap off... and he was where he was supposed to be whenever Montana/Young needed him.
__________________
Treruvre vb r tdec fo cqn qvpqnbc fauna! Odtx qvz, reu odtx lfd ofa carebyrcvep cqvb!

Last edited by Beatnik Husker : 11-17-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Beatnik Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums
Copyright (C) Verticalscope Inc Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007, PixelFX Studios