Football Forum - NFL, CFL & College Football Forums - View Single Post - Jerry Reese: Osi, Cruz extensions are on my plate

View Single Post

Old 04-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Major Seahawk
White Hott

Major Seahawk has a brilliant futureMajor Seahawk has a brilliant futureMajor Seahawk has a brilliant futureMajor Seahawk has a brilliant futureMajor Seahawk has a brilliant futureMajor Seahawk has a brilliant futureMajor Seahawk has a brilliant futureMajor Seahawk has a brilliant futureMajor Seahawk has a brilliant futureMajor Seahawk has a brilliant futureMajor Seahawk has a brilliant future
Giants Jerry Reese: Osi, Cruz extensions are on my plate

Quote:
Winning the Super Bowl makes everybody happy.

Giants general manager Jerry Reese has won a Super Bowl before so he’s well aware that the glow fades eventually and there’s no faster way for it to disappear than when issues of money enter the picture. Reese has a couple of key contributors to the title run that have expressed an interest in renegotiating their contracts this offseason.

One of them is defensive end Osi Umenyiora, who expresses such an interest every offseason. The Giants have never gone back into the deal, which is set to expire after paying Umenyiora $3.975 million, and that’s led to a steady stream of drama. The latest was Umenyiora’s displeasure with being a backup to Justin Tuck and Jason Pierre-Paul, albeit a backup who plays a ton and contributes a lot to the defense. Reese said Thursday that there’s been some discussion of a new deal for Umenyiora.

“I’m still open to that,” Reese said, via Ohm Youngsimuk of ESPNNewYork.com. “There has been a little bit of talk, but it is a long way to go before we play and a lot of things for us to do. That is on our plate as well.”

If the Giants take a pass rusher in the draft, you can probably assume that an Umenyiora extension is on the part of the plate furthest away from Reese’s fork. The team loves to have a lot of guys who can get after the passer, but there are other areas where they’ll need to spend money in the coming years and that limits what they’d likely Umenyiora, who turns 31 this year.

One of those other needs is a new contract for Victor Cruz. The wide receiver’s breakout 2011 season makes him look underpaid at $540,000 and he’s said that he thinks he deserves more money.

“That is on our plate. Everything is on our plate,” said Reese, who obviously stocks big plates in his kitchen.

Cruz has said several times that he won’t hold out this summer in search of a new deal, but he still seems like a better bet to wind up with one than Umenyiora.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-on-my-plate/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Major Seahawk is offline   Reply With Quote